Tweaking your Google searches just a bit can help screen out some of the "junk" that a regular search returns. (Think: commercial websites; sites devoted to non-scientific discussions of topics; quackery; web pages created by middle school students; etc.)
- Limit your search just to content hosted by trustworthy* entities
- Add site:.edu to limit to content hosted by educational institutions
- Add site:.gov to limit to content hosted by governmental websites
- Instead of www.google.com, start with scholar.google.com. (See Journal Articles tab for more on Google Scholar.)
- To search within the contents of millions of scholarly (and popular) books, point your browser to http://books.google.com.
- Some (mostly pre-1923) books will be available in their entirety.
- Others will allow you to view portions of the book.
- Others won't allow you to see any of the book's content.
*"trustworthy" is in the eye of the beholder; you still need to evaluate critically!