Asking the right questions
Helpful pieces of information that could aid your searching:
- Geographical Location
- Time period
- Other significant events during time period
- Is there an association or archival institution/group devoted/related to your topic?
- Who are the significant people? i.e. politicians, historians, royalty, other leaders
- Is your topic about famine in the United States? Check out the National Archives and read their recommendations about what questions to ask first.
- Find the national/regional archives for the country/location of your topic. Look for online finding aids!
- Remember that secondary sources often list primary sources.
- Look at the list of history reference books available in Oxford Reference Online to get background information and basic facts.