If you choose to create your poster as a single large-format document, here are a couple of options for printing:
Marlboro College Media Lab (top floor, Rice-Aron Library). Print up to 24" wide. Bring your own paper. Cost is $1.80 per square foot (of image, not of paper). An orientation is required to use the equipment; this can be done with Hilary Baker by appointment or with a scheduled Lab Monitor. The monitor schedule is posted on the entrance window to the Media Lab and on Hilary's office door. Hilary is also a great resource person for design and printing questions.
Lotus Graphics (Canal Street, Brattleboro; 802-257-1102) offers printing up to 36" wide. The cost is $6.99 per square foot (includes paper and ink). Files should be in PDF format.
Poster Design and Presentation Tips
- If you're designing a poster for a conference, read the sponsoring organization's guidelines and/or specifications carefully.
- If you're designing a poster for a class, check with your professor regarding expectations for poster design. S/he may be able to refer to you models or best practices for poster design in the relevant subject area.
- Design Better With CRAP: discusses the importance of contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity in creating a strong, easy-to-interpret design.
Tips and How-To
- Advice On Designing Scientific Posters. Colin Purrington, Department of Biology, Swarthmore College.
- Creating Anthropology Conference Posters: A Guide for Beginners. (PDF) Jason E. Miller and John K. Trainor, University of South Florida.
- Creating Effective Poster Presentations. North Carolina State University.
- Designing Effective Posters. Jeff Radel, PhD, University of Kansas Medical Center. Online tutorial that discusses planning, layout, design, and assembly.
- Developing a Poster Presentation in the Social Sciences. George Mason University Writing Center.
- Making a Poster Using PowerPoint 2007. (PDF) Dickinson College Library.
- Poster Presentation Tips. Oklahoma State University.
- Tufte, Edward R. Envisioning information. Cheshire, Conn. (P.O. Box 430, Cheshire 06410): Graphics Press.
- Williams, Robin. Non-designers design book: design and typographic principles for the visual novice. 2nd ed. Berkeley, Calif: Peachpit Press.